Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mommy Lesson & Yummy Muffins

Okay, mommy lesson for today: NEVER leave your preschooler unattended with a balloon! Sigh. I know, you're thinking, yeah, that's a no brainer. Well, I was distracted and so I plead insanity. I was trying to get Owen ready for preschool today and thinking of all the things I needed to take for his Halloween party. So, when he started whining for a "loon," I thought okay, whatever, here, blow on it to your heart's content. Next thing I know I hear gagging....I look over and sure enough he put it all in his mouth! I reach in and pull it out as he throws up all over me and himself. Nice. It was a scary moment but mostly it was gross and annoying. Had to change his clothes hurriedly and get out the door. I made a mental note to never give him balloons again.

Now, onto muffins. I've got a great new recipe to pass along. I've made it a few times over the past few weeks for various occasions, and it's always been a hit. And, bonus, it's supposed to be healthy! I'm in a moms group called MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers), and a registered dietician gave us the recipe at one of our meetings. So, here it is.

Pumpkin Muffins

1 2/3 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin pans (I like to use a mini muffin pan for this).

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix eggs, pumpkin, and butter in small bowl. Stir in chips into the small bowl. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until blended.

Fill muffin tins two-thirds full with batter. Bake 20-25 minutes (until puffed and springy to touch). I usually check them at about 17 minutes for mini muffins.




4 comments:

Karen said...

Wow, scary story! Glad he's okay.

The recipe looks great. Can anything with white chocolate in it actually be healthy? I'm not complaining, understand, I'll use whatever excuse is handy to eat any type of chocolate.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I guess it's "healthy" depending on how many you eat! Originally the recipe called for regular chocolate chips but I think they are better with the white chocolate.

Jillina said...

I love muffins so I'll def have to give these a try. Great pictures from your trip to Pigeon Forge - glad you had such a great time.

Jennifer said...

Hey! I tried these and the lasagna. I made the lasagna and it was a huge hit! I took it to my dad's, everyone loved it! I used the leftover 1/2 can of pumpkin and halved this recipe. I also used mini-chocolate chips and did the mini muffin pan. They were really good. Your brother agreed white chocolate would be best, but I still thought they were yummy!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!